Friday, October 28, 2005

Stranger Danger

My last post made me think of this post from Amanda of Pandagon, where she gives some sensible anti-rape advice (my favourite is "Most rape victims know their attacker, which means that if you are talking about statistical probability, a woman should avoid men she knows and hang out with strangers"). What I find most interesting is that most anti-rape advice that will actually decrease your chances of being raped comes down to the looking like too much trouble (obviously this won't do you any good if you're in a relationship with a rapist, but if does help avoid stranger, and particularly situations where you know the guy a little bit).

So while it's OK advice, we couldn't all take it, because it relies on the rapist finding someone else who looks like less trouble than you do.

Sonette Ehers, a South African woman, has invented the 'rapex' described as an anti-rape condom. It works by embedding itself in the rapist's penis.

If in a city or a town even a few women started wearing rapexs, and men knew that they were wearing them, then it could deter them from raping any women, because they wouldn't know. A few women taking personal action against rape would make everyone safer, rather than themselves safer, because other women were more vulnerable.

Like I said I don't feel unsafe enough around strangers to put something inside vagina to make sure they won't violate me. But if I did I would, and if I decided I wanted to have consensual sex, I could always take it out (I wonder how you do get it out? It can't have a string like a tampon, because then the guy could pull it out, and you wouldn't want one of these things in your finger).

The person who invented it seemed like a pretty cool woman:

Other critics say the condom is medieval and barbaric -- an accusation Ehlers says should be directed rather at the act of rape.

"This is not about vengeance ... but the deed, that is what I hate," she said.


It reminds me of a Jacky Fleming Cartoon (bottom right).

While I'm on the topic (I have been serious today - I'll have to find someone to mock before I go out) I've been following an extremely depressing rape trial through Pinko Feminist Hellcat and OC Weekly. The short version is three rich teenagers filmed themselves raping a girl who was unconcious (possibly because they drugged her, although that could never be proved). Despite the tape the first trial resulted in a hung jury as the defence lawyer tore apart the character of the woman who had been raped, and they were only convicted on the second when the prosecutor did a little bit a remedial rape education on the jury (he got a big poster with a list of occupations on it "Nun, Sex Worker, Mother, Teacher, Stripper" read them out and said "all these women have the same rights when it comes to sexual assault). Well it turns out that these charming young men have just lost their case to be sentanced as juveniles (I believe they were 17 at the time of the rape).

I don't believe the prison system will help one bit, when these guys come out of jail, they'll still be dangerous misogynist punks, and while their belief that daddy's credit card can buy them out of anything will probably be dented a little bit, but assuming their parents still support them, they'll have money. But I'm glad they didn't get their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment