Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Rosa Parks inspired thoughts

I was reading No Right Turn's reprint of Rosa Park's account of refusing to give up her seat.

It suddenly occurred to me that I've no idea who the person who wanted her seat was (or actually her row of seats). She says that he never even spoke to her. I can't imagine being someone who would take a seat under those conditions, but it's funny to realise that there's someone going through life as the person who took Rosa Parks's seat.

There's a book about the 1960s called 'They Should Have Served That Cup of Coffee", which looks at all the movements that grew out of the civil rights movement. I love that phrase because it captures the strength that we get from struggle. For me, that strength is a big part of the hope that I have that we can get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment